About Us

History of Dovecliff Hall

Dovecliff Hall is a fine Grade II listed Georgian house built in 1790 for the local affluent family of Thomas Thornewill.  Mr Thornewill was the owner of a forge which had been converted from the Stretton corn mill.  The house passed to Mrs Thornewill on her husband’s death in 1843 and was then taken over by their son Edward in 1880 on the death of his mother.

In 1869 Mr Thornewill’s grand daughter, Harriet Georgian married Michael Arthur Bass and subsequently became Lord & Lady Burton.  Lord Bass was a charitable man who made many contributions to Burton including the Ferry Bridge.  Lord Bass was a good friend of King Edward VII and the King visited the Bass brewery and the family on their estate at Rangemore in 1902, thus beginning the brewing of the now famous King’s Ale.

In 1881 the estate was sold to William Joseph Smith of Derby who also bought the family’s iron works at Stretton.  Smith died in 1891, and in 1897 his widow Frances sold Dovecliff Hall to Hugh Spencer Charrington, a Burton brewer.

Both the Bass and Charrington families owned breweries in the town and the house passed into the Bass family when Caroline, the daughter of Lord Bass, married into the Charrington family at the same time as the breweries merged.

Hugh Charrington died in 1921 and until 1928 the house went through periods of being either empty or occupied by tenants.  In 1928 the house was opened as a hotel but reverted back to a private house when purchased by Colonel Sharpe in 1936, whose portrait hangs today in the hotel’s reception.

The house was bought and sold several times until in 1987 it was purchased and renamed as the Dovecliff Hall Hotel by a consortium headed by Nick Hine who subsequently sold the business to the Moore family.  The hotel is now owned by the family business of Abbot Grange Ltd, headed by Tony Sachdev and Gogi Singh.